We began our journey as an ambitious, independent gas supplier in the North West of England, built on great relationships and a passion for growth and excellent customer service. We continuously developed our products to reach more customers and in less than ten years, we grew from employing a handful of people and suppling less than a hundred customers to become one of Britain’s leading non-domestic energy suppliers. We now supply thousands of businesses and organisations with the energy they need to provide their products and services used by millions of people across Britain, France and the Netherlands. We are part of the SEFE Group – led by SEFE Securing Energy for Europe GmbH in Berlin – which employs approximately 1,500 employees and together, our mission is clear.
The energy & commodities world has been changing for over a decade driven by forces of decarbonisation, competition, digitalisation and shifting customer expectations. Our strategy equips us to expertly seize these opportunities as the energy transition gathers even greater pace. We have a number of key transformation projects to evolve us even further to meet the market & client demands of the next decades: as we evolve our portfolio mgmt. capabilities, expand our Continental European footprint and deliver our transformational data architecture suite we are confident of our metamorphosis.
We’re strengthening our foundations – placing data and technology even further at the heart of our business model. We are friendly, enthusiastic, and purposeful and encourage everyone to have a learning mindset, challenge respectfully, have a bias for action and to make evidence-based decisions. You can expect to receive a valuable mix of challenge and support for your role, your wellbeing and ambitions. We are a place where you can be yourself and since 2012, we have been accredited with the Investors in People Gold standard and Ecovardis Silver accreditation this year. We pride ourselves in providing an inclusive home for a diverse group of highly talented individuals.
Our leadership & management are spread across our locations including Paris (Fr), Manchester (UK) & Den Bosch (NL), whilst London houses elements of our Portfolio management business stream and Executive branch. We are united by our ethos: providing our customers brilliant service, a commitment to operational excellence, a dedication to innovation and returning top tier results to our shareholders and investors.
We are looking for a Transport & Balancing Operator to join us to help drive the development & operation of SEFE Energy’s Logistics’ Desk comprising Portfolio Managers, Operators and Execution Quants split across SEFE Energy’s key platforms of Natural Gas & Fuels and Clean Energy. The Portfolio Management department is the key custodian of a complex book of indexed & fixed priced energy deals including significant contract optionality; The Logistics’ Desk is the key defender of the businesses physical position as it rolls into delivery across all forward, future, swaps and structured options and is the custodian of all interactions with clients (into delivery), infrastructure operators, regulators and balancing services providers across all of the business’s market footprint.
Progressing this high-performance desk and growing its capability to control, hedge and optimize the portfolio as it realizes into delivery and to defend and enhance its EBITDA is paramount. Ensuring best in class basis hedging tactics, STP automated trade flows and driving its digitization and automation are key. Algo and ML/AI systematic execution are critical to the desk and business aims.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Nominate and schedule the business’s client contracts, transport bookings, compliance account reconciliation (with risk) and control its regulatory licences, hub agreements, agent resolutions and all deals under its master trade agreements (netting, EFET, GTMA. ISDA, UK ETC, EU ETS etc).
- As required book all capacity commercial deals for terminal, storage, pipe, wire, entry/exit, interconnector & associated infrastructure as the portfolio requires.
- Ensure systematic and automated transaction reconciliation across all SEFE Energy’s Logistics’ portfolios & transportation with associated portfolio focused algo hedging programmes.
- Nominate and schedule across all hubs, terminals, balancing points and Interconnectors (directly or outsourced) to minimise imbalance charges and to skew the portfolio for profitability.
- Form effective working partnerships with peers across Portfolio Management, Sales, Risk & Finance for EBITDA control and as custodian of the entire portfolio as its moves from forward, to balancing, to settlement.
- Work with SEFE Energy’s Natural Gas and Fuels/Clean Energy portfolio managers to deliver consistent and stable EBITDA contribution based off all client and portfolio hedging, and sourcing flows.
- Defend the portfolio from imbalances via strong reconciliation processes, within day/day ahead strategy development and enhanced forecasting accuracy. Turn a defensive process into P&L generation.
- Progressively implement SEFE Energy’s strategy sheets to tier 4 portfolio level ensuring a degree of quant proficiency across the mental model frame up, back testing and returns profiling.
- Extend SEFE Energy’s product/index offering of 1x per Q / 5x pa Index across one of the key basis parameters of index/structure/commodity/geography
- Drive the ML/AI application throughout the business demonstrating real advancement in all operations.
Skills & Competencies
- Coding: Python expertise to a proficient level: Other languages desirable: R, SQL, C++. Matlab
- PowerBI / Tableau visual tool proficiency
- Language: Fluent Business English + one of French, German, Spanish, Italian
- Proven track record of securing a commodity portfolios ‘beta’ and delivering additional ‘alpha’
- Demonstrable ability to perform in a top tier commodity trading / portfolio management business
- Entrepreneurial in nature with a strong international orientation
- A dedication to quantitative rigour and adherence to a consistent cogitative framework
- Proven experience running logistics/shipping nominations with excellent knowledge of commodity flows
- Futures, forwards, swaps, options in-depth pricing, structuring & execution proficiency
- Proven experience in European Natural Gas, Power & Emissions markets
- Knowledge of Biofuels/LNG/Oil (desirable)
- Knowledge of Shipping, Trucking, Railcar logistics (desirable)
- Experience of Price and S&D quant analysis including market strategy frame up, tactic design and money management
- Demonstrate an understanding of Market Regulation and Compliance
- Master’s Degree – strong global university: Mathematical Finance / Econometrics / Physics / Data Science / Atmospherically & Environmental Science / Aeronautical Engineering / Shipping / Logistics Management.
- CFA or international financial services license accreditation equivalent preferred.
Our offer to you
In return we offer a competitive starting salary supported by a comprehensive benefits package which includes bonus earning potential, non-contributory pension, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, buy / sell holidays, life assurance, allowance for medical and dental insurance together with a range of optional flexible benefits.
Based in our offices in London you can benefit from hybrid working offering the flexibility to spend some of your working week at home.
The 350 people working in our business are friendly and positive – you can approach anyone for help and your ideas are always welcome. We’re committed to our REACH principles – Results, Expertise, Action, Challenge, Have courage – but above all else, we care for each other’s welfare and aspirations so you can expect to experience empathy and support throughout your journey with us. We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and fosters the development of knowledge, skills, and experience, so all our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We are a place where you can be yourself and make your mark because whatever your role, you’ll find an open, welcoming atmosphere that empowers you, encourages fresh thinking, and recognises your contribution.