Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
Key member of the finance function providing value add accounting advice to commercial transactions, the financial reporting process, and supporting the group’s extensive hedging program.
Duties & Responsibilities
Technical Accounting Support;
• Assist with the ongoing review and maintenance of SM&T’s accounting policies and accounting manual;
• Perform review role on new business approval requests;
• Documentation of ad hoc accounting analyses on structured transactions or specific technical accounting issues;
• Trusted advisor for Front Office and other support groups on technical accounting matters;
• Assist in the preparation of the Group and subsidiary annual financial statements;
• Liaise with external and internal auditors on technical accounting matters;
• Provide training on technical accounting matters to other members of Finance or the broader company where relevant
LNG Hedge Accounting;
• Support the other team member in the review, administration, and documentation of the hedge accounting processes and their ongoing evolution; including:
• Ensure that all hedge relationships are documented and that all IFRS 9 hedge accounting criteria are met;
• Maintain and optimize a robust control framework and process for LNG hedge accounting;
• In conjunction with Product Control, ensuring that all hedge ineffectiveness is calculated in accordance with IFRS 9 and booked correctly;
• Involves frequent contact with the LNG Portfolio Trading team to ensure that all information relating to activity designated for hedge accounting is captured appropriately; Develop and maintain good understanding of hedge accounting requirements and industry best practice
Skills & Competencies
• Qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA preferred)
• Strong understanding and working knowledge of IFRS accounting and financial reporting • Highly IT literate. MS Office (particularly Excel) to a high standard
• Good analytical skills and the ability to be flexible regarding nature of work
• Display high level of ownership and deliver tasks on time
• Diligent and dependable, approaching work with strong attention to detail
• Ability to work under own initiative as well as being an effective member of a team
• Ability to work effectively with all areas of the business and to communicate with non-finance colleagues and build effective relationships
• Thrives in a high pressure environment with challenging deadlines
• Ability to critically analyse current work methods and suggest and rapidly implement successful change
• Strong desire to learn and develop yourself professionally and take a willingness to share expertise and develop others
• Background in a commodity trading firm preferred
• Experience of preparing statutory financial information useful but not essential