We are looking for a Power Operator to join our team. You will be responsible for managing the operational day to day activities of the power portfolio and optimize generation assets.. The role will require working outside of normal office hours including weekends and overnight. You will also work in close liaison with the trading desk (off shift) to develop greater commercial skills and to maximise potential profits from the portfolio within day.
What you will do
As a Power Operator you will nominate ‘Day Ahead’ and ‘Within Day’ asset optimisation of thermal and renewable assets, involving liaising with the asset owners and the power structured trading team. You will develop European Scheduling, including power exchanges and power position nominations across our UK & European trading hubs and all relevant TSO’s, including taking part in cross border capacity auction. Provide support to the Power Trading Team by developing strategies to increase profitability of the portfolio and assist to balance positions. Development of new markets across Europe together with the implementation of these markets in the day to day operations procedures will allow you to develop your commercial awareness. As well as doing the operational activities, you will be expected to provide relevant trade information to the Power Trading Team to allow future positions to be agreed and for further provision to Front, Middle and Back Office Managers. You will also be responsible for
- Minimise any imbalances across the positions and look for opportunities to bring profit
- OTC, Day Ahead and Within Day speculative trading supported by systematic trends and fundamental analysis.
- Collaboration with the regulatory team on legislative changes across the power markets and with IT on any required updates to our systems following these changes.
- Development and enhancement of scheduling tools and processes
- Attendance of various power industry forums/ meetings on behalf of SM&T
- Interaction with IT and involvement in development of asset optimisation tools
- Close interaction with short term traders and the intraday trading team; identification/analysis and execution of trading strategies in the European power markets.
What you’ll bring to the role
With strong analytical and numerical skills as well as good attention to detail, your problem solving skills will be essential to help you succeed. In addition you will need
- Excellent computer skills and a good knowledge of Excel
- SQL, Python, VBA advantageous
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Knowledge of Continental Power Scheduling experience or UK Asset Trading experience
- Experience of working in the energy industry, preferably in UK and European power operations (preferred)
- Knowledge of power networks across Europe (desired but not essential).
- The role allows for development of analytical skills, trading strategies, development of tools and automation of processes.
- Strong focus on developing trading and analytics skillset.
Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future