We began our journey as an ambitious, independent gas supplier in the North West of England, built on great relationships and a passion for growth and excellent customer service. We continuously developed our products to reach more customers and in less than ten years, we grew from employing a handful of people and suppling less than a hundred customers to become one of Britain’s leading non-domestic energy suppliers. We now supply thousands of businesses and organisations with the energy they need to provide their products and services used by millions of people across Britain, France and the Netherlands. We are part of the SEFE Group – led by SEFE Securing Energy for Europe GmbH in Berlin – which employs approximately 1,500 employees and together, our mission is clear.
The energy & commodities world has been changing for over a decade driven by forces of decarbonisation, competition, digitalisation and shifting customer expectations. Our strategy equips us to expertly seize these opportunities as the energy transition gathers even greater pace. We have a number of key transformation projects to evolve us even further to meet the market & client demands of the next decades: as we evolve our portfolio mgmt. capabilities, expand our Continental European footprint and deliver our transformational data architecture suite we are confident of our metamorphosis.
We’re strengthening our foundations – placing data and technology even further at the heart of our business model. We are friendly, enthusiastic, and purposeful and encourage everyone to have a learning mindset, challenge respectfully, have a bias for action and to make evidence-based decisions. You can expect to receive a valuable mix of challenge and support for your role, your wellbeing and ambitions. We are a place where you can be yourself and since 2012, we have been accredited with the Investors in People Gold standard and Ecovardis Silver accreditation this year. We pride ourselves in providing an inclusive home for a diverse group of highly talented individuals
Our leadership & management are spread across our locations including Paris (Fr), Manchester (UK) & Den Bosch (NL), whilst London houses elements of our Portfolio management business stream and Executive branch. We are united by our ethos: providing our customers brilliant service, a commitment to operational excellence, a dedication to innovation and returning top tier results to our shareholders and investors.
The Retail Portfolio Management department is the key custodian of a complex book of indexed and fixed priced energy deals including significant contract optionality. QED is the primary OTC & exchange route to market and responsible for all forward, future, swaps & stand option execution with Retails clients, shareholders, financiers, DMA providers and associated platforms including exchanges.
Within this role you will own and govern the Retail Natural Gas and Fuels, as well as Clean Energy Execution portfolios including the associated Portfolio Managers, Flow Traders and Execution Quants split across UK, NL, FR and other potential European locations.
You will lead the execution portfolios of this high-performance desk and grow its client volume, product offering, and EBITDA whilst also ensuring best in class basis hedging tactics, STP automated trade flows and driving its digitization and automation. Algo and ML/AI systematic execution are critical to the desk and business aims.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop the Retail Natural Gas and Fuel/Clean Energy index suite, product structures & algorithmic market making offering across its client flow platform for European energy
- Increase our product and index offering across one of the key basis parameters of index/structure/commodity/geography
- Own Retail’s Natural Gas & Fuels/Clean Energy Execution portfolio suite delivering consistent and stable EBITDA contribution based on all client and portfolio hedging, and sourcing flows
- Curate and sustain Retail’s Natural Gas and Fuels/Clean Energy strategy sheets for the Execution portfolio suite working with Market Strategists, Portfolio Modelling and Risk to deliver a quantitative mental model frame up
- Partner with Sales and Logistics Portfolio Managers to enhance hedging returns across all relevant portfolios
- Drive the basis and extrinsic portfolio modelling, strategy identification and tactic execution to return >P&L
- Ensure systematic and automated transaction processing across all Retail’s DMA execution platforms with associated portfolio focused algo trading programmes
Skills & Competencies
- Coding: Python expertise to a proficient level (essential). Other languages: R, C++. Matlab (desirable)
- Fluent Business English
- Proven track record of securing a commodity portfolios ‘beta’ and delivering additional ‘alpha’
- Demonstratable ability to perform in a top tier commodity trading / portfolio management business
- Entrepreneurial in nature with a strong international orientation
- A dedication to quantitative rigour & adherence to a consistent cognitive framework
- Extensive experience running derivative portfolios with excellent knowledge of commodity OTC, Futures hedging and flow trading
- In depth experience of Futures, forwards, swaps, options in-depth pricing, structuring and execution proficiency
- In depth experience in European Natural Gas, Power and Emissions markets
- Biofuels, LNG, Oil and industrial market knowledge a plus
- Solid working experience in Price and S&D quant analysis including market strategy frame up, tactic design and money management.
- Master’s Degree from strong global university: Mathematical Finance / Econometrics / Physics / Data Science / Atmospherically & Environmental Science / Aeronautical Engineering
- CFA or international financial services license accreditation equivalent preferred
- ICE, EEX & alternative international exchange accreditation will be required
Our offer to you
In return we offer a competitive starting salary supported by a comprehensive benefits package which includes; bonus earning potential, non-contributory pension, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, buy / sell holidays, life assurance, allowance for medical and dental insurance together with a range of optional flexible benefits and hybrid working.
We’re committed to our REACH principles – Results, Expertise, Action, Challenge, Have courage – we care for each other’s welfare and aspirations so you can expect to experience empathy and support throughout your journey with us. We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and fosters development.