Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (“SEFE GmbH”) is a major European energy company focussed on maintaining security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SM&T Ltd is an integral part of the SEFE GmbH Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T Ltd is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
The role focuses on performing trade surveillance, overseeing algorithmic trading governance requirements and compliance relating to market access. The role forms part of the Regulatory Compliance function whose mandate is to define and maintain the framework, policies, procedures and controls to manage regulatory risks and obligations effectively and efficiently and implement new regulatory requirements related to the trading activity of SM&T.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform trade surveillance to identify potential non-compliant activity
- Assist in the development of the trade surveillance program to maintain effective arrangements, systems and procedures to detect and report suspicious orders and transactions
- Support in the monitoring and assessment of new regulatory requirements impacting a commodity trading business
- Assist in maintaining the governance arrangements relating to trading algorithms
- Preparation and submission of regulatory reports resulting from national licensing requirements in connection with SM&T’s physical commodity trading business
- Initiate and coordinate risk assessments on controls and procedures
- Make recommendations to enhance the control framework
- Lead action plans resulting from control and risk assessment outcomes
- Assist with reviewing and updating policies and procedures
- Provide regulatory advice and support across departments
- Prepare management information and reports
- Assist in compliance training and promoting a culture of compliance
Skills & Competencies
- Risk management
- Ability to interpret regulation and identify the practical implications impacting an energy trading company
- Strong analytical skills
- Stakeholder management; ability to work closely with multiple internal stakeholders and build strong cooperative relationships at all levels
- Initiative and commitment to excellence; active and enthusiastic to influence and seek opportunities to drive improvement, encourage and develop new ideas.
- Diligent and reliable with strong execution skills.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
- Knowledge of wholesale energy markets and related trading activities
- Knowledge of MAR requirements and trade surveillance techniques
- Understanding of regulations applicable to physical and financial commodity derivative markets (e.g. REMIT, MiFID II, EMIR)
- Knowledge of commodity trading venue rules
- Experience in using third party or in-house trade surveillance software
- Experience in a regulatory compliance function in an energy trading organization with good understanding of the risk environment
- Experience analysing, interpreting and implementing complex regulation
- Experience of working in projects with multiple stakeholders
- Experience in implementing new processes and controls
- Degree level education in finance, economics, law, business or related discipline preferred
- Masters level education preferred