Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
Working within Commercial Operations the core responsibilities of the role include assisting in the establishment of the current and future regulatory requirements for SEFE’s business activities, and the identification of potential commercial impacts on Gas, Power & Carbon portfolios.
The role will be highly interdependent with other functions including, but not limited to Gas, Power, Carbon & LNG Trading, Commercial Operations, Operational and Enterprise Risk and Regulatory Compliance, Operational Planning and Management and Legal.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain close relationships with the Gas, Power, Environmental Products and LNG Trading Desks.
- Understand commercial strategy, potential new markets and products and forthcoming major transactions.
- Identify significant regulatory challenges and commercial opportunities for Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG arising from the planned strategy and tactics, for the current and future regulatory environments. Work with the Front Office and support functions to develop corresponding action plans.
- Work with the Front Office Trading desk and Operational Planning and Management team and the relevant support functions across SEFE to ensure necessary operational arrangements are implemented for new business development.
- Monitor Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG regulation to identify potential new regulatory compliance requirements necessary to existing policies, processes and systems.
- Help ensure that SEFE understands with its energy regulation compliance requirements.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of current regulations and potential developments of regulation and market design across Gas, Power, Carbon and LNG, markets and products.
- Build relationships with relevant regulators, energy infrastructure operators, exchanges and relevant counterparties through active participation in consultation processes, regulatory enquiries and industry forums.
- Represent SEFE and the SEFE Group’s best interest through input to consultation processes and selective lobbying (ensuring alignment with senior management).
Risk management and strategy
- Identify operational risks arising from regulatory compliance requirements and liaise with operational risk management in the implementation of effective reporting, control and mitigation processes
- Identify, assess, and report strategic regulatory risks arising from potential developments.
- On a daily basis Regulatory Affairs Manager, members of the Regulatory Affairs team and SEFE Front Office to support current and future activities, and operational capability development.
- As required, Compliance, Legal and Risk Management to enable the Regulatory Affairs Department to meet its business objectives.
- Other interfaces will include Tax, Communications and relevant SEFE group functions as required.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent understanding of EU/UK wholesale Gas and Power markets.
- Knowledge in compliance and voluntary Carbon markets would be desirable.
- Strong business acumen coupled with entrepreneurial flair and energy.
- Able to distil the information, grasp the commercial concept, build a compelling argument and execute effective advocacy and lobbying.
- Regulatory specialist able to balance understanding of the energy regulatory framework and market design with commercial insight.
- Able to quickly understand and assimilate different regulatory regimes.
- Able to work, flexibly, independently whilst contributing collegiately to meeting the objectives of the Regulatory Affairs team.
- Able to work in a dynamic, pressured environment and to meet tight deadlines.
- Able to establish and maintain strong professional relationships across a broad range of internal and external parties.
- Highly effective communication skills; articulate and able to converse at all levels; ability to summarise in concise manner complex topics.
- Fluent in English and another European language would be desirable.
- Regulatory experience gained through working in a regulatory body or in a regulatory function in a commercial company or in an economic regulatory consultancy role is essential.
- Exposure to energy trading and retailing environments within a highly commercial and entrepreneurial focused business would be an advantage.
- Commercial experience of monetizing opportunities is a distinct advantage.
- Degree level education in finance, economics, business or related discipline
- Regulatory qualification(s) is an advantage.