Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
A small but respected IT team that provides analytic tooling to a derivatives trading desk. We have a strong relationship with business stakeholders having built up trust over several years of successful delivery.
We are now building a closer relationship with the Quant team so that we can support more of their tech-stack (leaving them to the quant-stack). So after a recent departure we’re looking for a senior developer to join a friendly team with growing responsibility.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and support an in-house application that provides bespoke risk management tooling to Derivatives traders.
- Must liaise directly with both traders and quants to establish requirements, develop and test new functionality.
- Develop and support the end-to-end software development lifecycle, being involved in all activities: design, development, testing and deployment, ensuring our tooling and processes are enhanced as we evolve.
- Provide BAU support to ensure high availability. We have a commitment to ensure that there is always at least one developer available during business hours.
- Work with other IT teams to build or define required interfaces and architecture.
- There is the potential for this role to develop into a technical leadership role for the right candidate.
Skills & Competencies
- Senior/advanced Python programming skills
- Experience of developing complex, business-oriented functionality with limited or fluid requirements, under tight timescales. This may have been gained on any trading floor or similarly paced environment.
- Experience of continuous integration and deployment of Python applications
- Disciplines that support Agile software development: automated testing, Continuous Delivery, code review, pair programming, specification by example, etc.
- Testing software (TDD, BDD, py.test, mock).
- Writing software that is compliant to the SOLID principles. Passionate about writing clean code, refactoring, aiming to find simple solutions for complex problems.
- Version control with Git. Experience using the workflow based on forks, branches and pull requests presented by GitHub.
- Relational SQL databases
- OTC/Derivatives trade life cycle and position management experience would be highly regarded.
- Comfortable interfacing with mathematical pricing models (options preferably).
- Commodities / Energy front office trading experience.
- GUI development using Qt5 / PyQt5. (Even better: Enaml)
- ORM for SQL Databases, ideally SQLAlchemy.
- MongoDB (interfacing from Python).
- Advanced distributed / concurrent programming.
- Conda (using conda as package manager and, even better, having used conda-build to build and distribute your own conda packages).
- Demonstrate technical authority in order to have credibility within a talented team
- Outstanding analytic and problem-solving skills. Should be prepared to take a problem to its conclusion with minimal guidance and support.
- Intellectual curiosity to investigate and share new libraries and technologies.
- Must be comfortable communicating directly with demanding end users and quants, in an open, transparent and honest manner, so you’re able to share bad news as well as good ones.
- Committed to Agile development best practises
- A Computer Science or similar degree, preferably including or in conjunction with a numerate degree such as maths/physics/engineering.