We began our journey as an ambitious, independent gas supplier in the North West of England, built on great relationships and a passion for growth and excellent customer service. We continuously developed our products to reach more customers and in less than ten years, we grew from employing a handful of people and suppling less than a hundred customers to become one of Britain’s leading non-domestic energy suppliers. We now supply thousands of businesses and organisations with the energy they need to provide their products and services used by millions of people across Britain, France and the Netherlands. We are part of the SEFE Group – led by SEFE Securing Energy for Europe GmbH in Berlin – which employs approximately 1,500 employees and together, our mission is clear.
The energy & commodities world has been changing for over a decade driven by forces of decarbonisation, competition, digitalisation and shifting customer expectations. Our strategy equips us to expertly seize these opportunities as the energy transition gathers even greater pace. We have a number of key transformation projects to evolve us even further to meet the market & client demands of the next decades: as we evolve our portfolio mgmt. capabilities, expand our Continental European footprint and deliver our transformational data architecture suite we are confident of our metamorphosis.
We’re strengthening our foundations – placing data and technology even further at the heart of our business model. We are friendly, enthusiastic, and purposeful and encourage everyone to have a learning mindset, challenge respectfully, have a bias for action and to make evidence-based decisions. You can expect to receive a valuable mix of challenge and support for your role, your wellbeing and ambitions. We are a place where you can be yourself and since 2012, we have been accredited with the Investors in People Gold standard and Ecovardis Silver accreditation this year. We pride ourselves in providing an inclusive home for a diverse group of highly talented individuals
Our leadership & management are spread across our locations including Paris (Fr), Manchester (UK) & Den Bosch (NL), whilst London houses elements of our Portfolio management business stream and Executive branch. We are united by our ethos: providing our customers brilliant service, a commitment to operational excellence, a dedication to innovation and returning top tier results to our shareholders and investors.
Our Retail Portfolio Management department is the key custodian of a complex book of indexed and fixed priced energy deals including significant contract optionality. Portfolio Management is the main contact owner for all pricing and structuring interactions with sales, and the main route to market for the originated sourcing transactions.
Within this role, you will develop and operate the Portfolio Strategy Desk, including Structuring and Pricing Quants, Portfolio Managers, Optimization Quants and Execution Quants, split across our key platforms of Natural Gas and Fuels as well as Clean Energy.
You will lead the execution portfolios of this high-performance desk and grow its client volume, product offering, and EBITDA whilst also ensuring best in class basis hedging tactics, STP automated trade flows and driving its digitization and automation. Algo and ML/AI systematic execution are critical to the desk and business aims.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop the Retail Natural Gas and Fuel/Clean Energy index and optionality product structures and associated algo execution across its routes to client markets for European energy
- Increase our product and index offering across one of the key basis parameters of index/structure/commodity/geography
- Own Retail’s Natural Gas & Fuels/Clean Energy Execution portfolio suite delivering consistent and stable EBITDA contribution based on all client and portfolio hedging, and sourcing flows
- Curate and sustain Retail’s Natural Gas and Fuels/Clean Energy strategy sheets for the sales and structured portfolio suite working with Market Strategies, Portfolio Modelling and Risk to deliver a quantitative mental model frame up
- Partner with QED & Logistics portfolio managers to enhance hedging returns across relevant portfolios
- Drive the basis and extrinsic portfolio modelling, strategy identification and tactic execution to return > P&L
- Ensure systematic and automated transaction processing across Retail’s sales portfolios and structured platforms with associated portfolio focused algo trading programmes
Skills & Competencies
- Coding: Python expertise to a proficient level (essential). Other languages: R, SQL, C++. Matlab (desirable)
- Language: Fluent Business English together with one of French, German, Spanish or Italian
- Proven track record of securing a commodity portfolios ‘beta’ and delivering additional ‘alpha’
- Demonstratable ability to perform in a top tier commodity trading / portfolio management business
- Entrepreneurial in nature with a strong international orientation
- A dedication to quantitative rigour and adherence to a consistent cogitative framework
- Extensive experience running structured commodity portfolios coupled with a strong knowledge of commodity OTC option deals, optimization hedging and structured deal tactic design.
- In depth experience in Futures, forwards, swaps, options in-depth pricing, structuring and execution proficiency
- In depth experience in European Natural Gas, Power and Emissions markets
- Biofuels, LNG, Oil and industrial market knowledge a plus
- Solid working experience in S&D quant analysis including market strategy frame up, tactic design and money management
- Master’s Degree from strong global university: Mathematical Finance / Econometrics / Physics / Data Science / Atmospherically and Environmental Science / Aeronautical Engineering
- CFA or international financial services license accreditation equivalent preferred.
Our offer to you
In return we offer a competitive starting salary supported by a comprehensive benefits package which includes bonus earning potential, non-contributory pension, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, buy / sell holidays, life assurance, allowance for medical and dental insurance together with a range of optional flexible benefits.
This role may be based in our office in London or Paris with a hybrid working approach offering the flexibility to spend some of your working week at home.
The 350 people working in our business are friendly and positive – you can approach anyone for help and your ideas are always welcome. We’re committed to our REACH principles – Results, Expertise, Action, Challenge, Have courage – but above all else, we care for each other’s welfare and aspirations so you can expect to experience empathy and support throughout your journey with us. We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and fosters the development of knowledge, skills, and experience, so all our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We are a place where you can be yourself and make your mark because whatever your role, you’ll find an open, welcoming atmosphere that empowers you, encourages fresh thinking, and recognises your contribution.
In the UK, our people practices have been awarded Gold status by Investors in People and we have a silver EcoVadis rating demonstrating our commitment to sustainability.