Indirect Tax Compliance Advisor
Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
As part of the Tax team, this is a broad ranging role with primary responsibility for supporting the Indirect Tax Manager with meeting SM&T Group’s Global Indirect Tax Compliance obligations – VAT and Energy Taxes. This includes, but is not limited to, preparation or review of certain Indirect Tax filings in UK, France, Netherlands, Singapore and Mexico.
The role requires an individual who is well positioned to assist with Indirect tax compliance reporting, with experience working in a multinational or professional services environment. The role will also entail supporting the transformation of current tax systems, processes, and policies to support the growing needs of the SM&T tax department and the wider SM&T group.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager with managing Indirect tax compliance (e.g. preparation and review of all relevant SM&T VAT, Energy Tax and Statistical declarations for several locations including but not limited to UK, France, Netherlands, Singapore and Mexico).
- Working closely with SM&T’s outsourced tax compliance service providers to provide data and any other relevant information to ensure the timely and accurate delivery of indirect tax declarations.
- Assisting with reviewing the returns prepared by SM&T’s outsourced tax compliance service providers.
- Assisting in the internal preparation of certain Indirect Tax returns carried out in-house.
- Completing control checks such as VAT balance sheet reconciliations and working with the business to identify issues and resolve issues related to returns.
- Acting as operational point of contact for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable teams and general business/operational VAT queries.
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager in responding to any enquiries raised by the tax authorities.
- Providing support on Audits (Internal and External).
- Assisting the team with process improvement initiatives, including identification of opportunities, and supporting new process/system change roll outs.
- Assisting the Indirect Tax Manager to ensure that appropriate tax controls, procedures and reporting functionality is operated to enable the proper flow of data which will minimise tax risks and enable accurate recording and timely completion of all Indirect Tax related returns.
- Assisting with providing guidance notes and training to relevant business teams (e.g. AP and Settlements) when required.
- Assisting with ensuring all VAT and indirect tax processes are documented in operating manual.
- Liaising with Tax Advisory team to understand transactions and consider impact it has on reporting.
- Staying abreast of ongoing changes indirect tax legislation in each relevant country (e.g. VAT rates) and sharing knowledge so that it can be applied in practice.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent team working, organizational and communication skills.
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills, oral and written.
- Ability to apply knowledge of indirect tax principles to systems, processes and policies.
- Ability to build relationships with stakeholders and to manage multiple priorities.
- Commercially astute and risk-aware.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a culture of excellence, integrity and accountability.
- Ability to act assertively, self-motivated and proactive.
- Fluent in English. Other language skills would be a benefit (Dutch, German, French).
- A driven, proactive and determined approach to work.
- Ability and desire to thrive in a fast-growing environment; treats change as an opportunity.
- Ability to analyse problems and apply innovative solutions (e.g. simplification of processes).
- A self-starter with a strong bias for action.
- Ability to proactively build relationships with other departments (e.g. Group Finance team, Treasury, Legal).
- Ability to accurately manage workload and stakeholders in a fast-moving trading environment.
- Ability and desire to develop professionally as the role, team and business grows.
- Indirect Tax Compliance experience, UK and international, preferred (either Big 4 or from working in practice).
- Previous exposure to international indirect tax compliance matters desirable but not essential.
- Knowledge of Indirect Tax fundamentals and ability to quickly research and understand country-specific legislative nuances in this area.
- Good understanding of finance and accounting principles.
- IT literate with experience in accounting systems (e.g. SAP) and highly proficient in Microsoft products including Advanced Excel. Experience of using Tax technology, OneSource VAT compliance engine, would be ideal.
- Project experience beneficial.
- Degree educated (or equivalent) in business, accounting, management or other discipline.
- Post graduate finance or tax qualification or studying towards e.g. AAT, ATT, ACA, CTA or equivalent.