Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
This position is for a role within the Gas Operations Team of SEFE MT. This role will involve working within normal office hours, to manage amongst other things, the after the day processes.. The role will also involve working closely with other members of the Gas Operations team, to ensure the level of service provided to the Trading Desk remains constantly high. The role would involve learning the Gas Operations shift role in order to provide this support, and the ideal candidate would use this role to build into the 24/7 team in the future.
Duties & Responsibilities
After the Day Operational Activities:
- Check and record all daily UK and European allocation data and tally this with nominated positions, in order to assist in efficient reconciliation by other areas of the business in both Middle and Back office.
- Minimise any costs resulting from nomination/allocation differences by retro-trading with counterparties.
- Ensure that all producer and shipper data is matched correctly with counterparties on the CVA website and enter National Grid cash outs.
- Maintain records of gas flows and allocated volumes to assist in efficient reconciliation by other areas of the business in both Middle and Back office.
- Assist in the development of the COAT system for after-the-day process and the recording of fees and flows.
- Maintain any sheets detailing individual storages (e.g. Etzel) so as to ensure efficient optimisation of the storages
- Assisting the lead operator in carrying out any UAT for operations systems, (BigBoy, Storage portal, ENOM) and maintenance of these systems (adding codes, setting up transits)
- Assist in the resolution of book balancing queries, to ensure the correct reporting within the company.
- Assist the Lead Operator setting up the new months so that the 24/7 Operations Team have the relevant knowledge of new deals (portfolio, storage, capacity etc) to carry out their roles.
- Carry out regular inventory checks, to ensure accurate records are maintained, and breaches avoided
- Assist the team with internal deal review processes, to enable timely sign-offs for new structured trading deals and develop understanding of the deals and provide support to assist the 24/7 operations team.
Communication and Reporting:
- Report to the Lead Gas Operator or the Operations Manager any errors that may occur in the course of the business, and report any issues with the systems to the relevant teams to ensure rapid resolution
- Ensure all important information regarding system developments, new deals and strategies are handed over to other members of the shift team.
Skills & Competencies
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent analytical skills and a good attention to detail
- Strong desire and ability to learn new skills
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of systems involved in scheduling gas (desired but not essential)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and on an individual basis with limited supervision
- Strong problem solving skills
- Pro-active in achieving results
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Diligent and reliable
- Languages: fluency in English (verbal and written) is essential; other European languages would be of benefit but are not essential.
- Experience of working in the energy industry (desired but not essential)
- Experience of UK and European gas operations (desired but not essential)
- Knowledge of gas networks across Western Europe (desired but not essential).
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience).