We began our journey as an ambitious, independent gas supplier in the North West of England, built on great relationships and a passion for growth and excellent customer service. We continuously developed our products to reach more customers and in less than ten years, we grew from employing a handful of people and suppling less than a hundred customers to become one of Britain’s leading non-domestic energy suppliers. We now supply thousands of businesses and organisations with the energy they need to provide their products and services used by millions of people across Britain, France and the Netherlands. We are part of the SEFE Group – led by SEFE Securing Energy for Europe GmbH in Berlin – which employs approximately 1,500 employees and together, our mission is clear.
The energy & commodities world has been changing for over a decade driven by forces of decarbonisation, competition, digitalisation and shifting customer expectations. Our strategy equips us to expertly seize these opportunities as the energy transition gathers even greater pace. We have a number of key transformation projects to evolve us even further to meet the market & client demands of the next decades: as we evolve our portfolio mgmt. capabilities, expand our Continental European footprint and deliver our transformational data architecture suite we are confident of our metamorphosis.
We’re strengthening our foundations – placing data and technology even further at the heart of our business model. We are friendly, enthusiastic, and purposeful and encourage everyone to have a learning mindset, challenge respectfully, have a bias for action and to make evidence-based decisions. You can expect to receive a valuable mix of challenge and support for your role, your wellbeing and ambitions. We are a place where you can be yourself and since 2012, we have been accredited with the Investors in People Gold standard and Ecovardis Silver accreditation this year. We pride ourselves in providing an inclusive home for a diverse group of highly talented individuals
Our leadership & management are spread across our locations including Paris (Fr), Manchester (UK) & Den Bosch (NL), whilst London houses elements of our Portfolio management business stream and Executive branch. We are united by our ethos: providing our customers brilliant service, a commitment to operational excellence, a dedication to innovation and returning top tier results to our shareholders and investors.
Our Retail Portfolio Management department is the key custodian of a complex book of indexed and fixed priced energy deals including significant contract optionality.
Portfolio Modelling is the primary owner of forecasting for the total portfolio on a granular deal level, as well as modelling and stripping out the structured exposure for liquid/illiquid index risk, quanto/correlation/volatility exposure and the additional esoteric portfolio components. Key ownership includes portfolio and deal scenario analysis and management of portfolio stress including working with portfolio managers for effective tactic design.
We are looking for a Power BI Engineer to help develop and operate the Portfolio Modelling Desk comprising Portfolio Quants, Data Engineers and Data Quants/Scientists across Retail’s key platforms of Natural Gas and Fuels as well as Clean Energy.
You will ensure this high-performance desk is able to drive transparency, proficiency, metric performance and knowledge, ensuring best in class hedging tactics and STP automated trade flows, whilst driving digitization and automation. Algo and ML/AI systematic execution are critical to the desk and business aims.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain and analyse data architectures, pipelines, datasets from existing databases, industry file flows and unique structured/unstructured sources for use across portfolio analysis and ML analytics
- Ensure a stable and automated operating environment, with strong back up and benchmarking processes for data analytics, visualization, quality assurance, report content monitoring and issue resolutions
- Liaise with the Data Engineers, Scientists, Architects and Quants to ensure tier one insight into portfolio EBITDA performance, customer metrics, price and fundamental influences and external portfolio impacts
- Work closely with Portfolio Management Data Architect to design, build and maintain the overall pipeline flows and use case, especially in relation to Portfolio Management’s mission and an enhanced visualization footprint
- Lead and build activity to bring transparency to the overall business portfolio developing tailored insight into profit and loss and operational business components for Gas, Power and Emissions
- Visualize structured and unstructured data sources from internal systems, industry APIs/web scraping/
file flows, counterparty news sources and market participant data sets
- Link with the Data Architect to ensure the desk, department and business data strategy is seen as an industry leader
- Use machine learning and statistical techniques to contribute to and lead on data science projects in systemising data analysis, deployed production environments and effective decision making
- Support Research and Development by contributing to concept and prototype development across the desk, department and business for data mining and data-gathering techniques, algorithms design and data visualization
- Form effective working partnerships with peers across Portfolio Management, Sales, Risk and Finance for data control and work in partnership with the other Data Quants/Scientistic/Architects/Engineers as custodian of data modelling rigour
- Work with Market Strategists to visualize curve packaging, shape structuring methodologies and basis commercial tactics (time/location/quality/x-com) to price and manage deals, portfolios, and positions
- Work with Logistics, Portfolio Modelling and Risk to ensure assumptions, data calibration and visualization for portfolio and deal parameters are up to date, accurately modelled and reconciled
- Contribute to the business progressively implementing strategy sheets to tier 4 portfolio level ensuring a degree of quant proficiency across the mental model frame up, back testing and returns profiling
Skills & Competencies
- Object orientated programming including Python expertise to a proficient level for data manipulation libraries / package management / web frameworks (eg Pandas/Desk, Numpy/Scipy, Matplotlib/seaborn/plotly, pip/conda, flask/Django)
- Language: Fluent Business English together with French, German, Spanish or Italian
- Machine Learning, AI techniques and micro service architectures such as Docker/Kubernetes, Windows Servers, Elastic Search (ELK Stack) and IIS Web Hosting.
- SQL, SQL Alchemy and Alembic + experience with GIT (or other)
- Experience of commodity portfolios ‘beta’ and ‘alpha’ desirable.
- Proven ability to perform in trading / portfolio management / financial services / research
- Entrepreneurial in nature with a strong international orientation
- A dedication to quantitative rigour & adherence to a consistent cogitative framework
Proven experience in:
- Systemizing financial data flows
- Weather, commodities, fixed income, financial services or applicable industry
- Data flow analysis across structured and unstructured data
- A dedication to quantitative rigour and adherence to a consistent cogitative framework
- Master’s Degree from a strong global university: Computer Science, Software Engineering or STEM subject
Our offer to you
In return we offer a competitive starting salary supported by a comprehensive benefits package which includes bonus earning potential, non-contributory pension, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, buy / sell holidays, life assurance, allowance for medical and dental insurance together with a range of optional flexible benefits.
Based in our offices in London you can benefit from hybrid working offering the flexibility to spend some of your working week at home.
The 350 people working in our business are friendly and positive – you can approach anyone for help and your ideas are always welcome. We’re committed to our REACH principles – Results, Expertise, Action, Challenge, Have courage – but above all else, we care for each other’s welfare and aspirations so you can expect to experience empathy and support throughout your journey with us. We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and fosters the development of knowledge, skills, and experience, so all our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We are a place where you can be yourself and make your mark because whatever your role, you’ll find an open, welcoming atmosphere that empowers you, encourages fresh thinking, and recognises your contribution.