Are you an experienced data engineer looking to join an organisation committed to placing data and technology at the heart of their business model?
We are looking for an experienced data engineer to join our Data Analytics & Reporting team in Manchester. As a data enthusiast you are about to embark with us on an exciting journey of harnessing the full potential of our data. Your role is pivotal to our mission of unlocking actionable insights from data for more data driven decisions. Working with stakeholders in sales and operations you will help define and refine requirements turning them into meaningful dashboards with related data models.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will be responsible for the translation of business requirements into conceptual, logical and physical data models that align with company standards and fulfil customer needs.
You will be required to:
- Collaborate closely with business stakeholders, data engineers, and others to continuously refine and enhance reporting solutions based on evolving needs and subsequently translate them in technical concepts.
- Design and implement proof-of-concept reports that showcase the feasibility and value of a proposed solution in data analytics.
- Proactively identify and address issues, bottlenecks, and enhancements within existing data analytic reports.
- Conduct training sessions to educate the business on the value of data analytics and empower colleagues with the skills needed to interpret and use data effectively.
- Proactively promote the importance and benefits of data analytical solutions across departments to encourage more “data enthusiasts” and data driven decision in business
- Create logical and physical data models using best practices to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy.
- Work with business analysts and the applications/delivery team to implement data strategies, build data flows and develop conceptual data models.
- Analysing data-related system integration challenges and propose appropriate solutions.
- Recommend opportunities for reuse of data models in new environments.
- Maintain conceptual, logical and physical data models along with corresponding metadata.
- Optimize and update logical and physical data models to support new and existing projects.
- Examine new application designs, recommending corrections if required to ensure consistent and “fit-for-purpose” end-to-end data models.
- Perform reverse engineering of physical data models from databases and SQL scripts.
- Drive the concepts of company-wide identifiers as well as unique- and centrally managed metadata.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Strong knowledge of and demonstrable skill in using at least in one of the leading data analytical visualization tools e.g., MicroStrategy (preferred), Tableu, Microsoft PowerBI or similar.
- Data modelling skills in data architecture for data analytical tools would be an advantage e.g., Data Vault (desirable), Star-/Snowflake models.
- Skills in relational database management systems e.g., Oracle,MS-SQL or similar
- Strong communication skills with the ability to simplify complex concepts to stakeholders.
- Strong team player and the ability to work well collaboratively with others.
- Strong analytical talent for efficient and effective troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with agile development methods e.g., SCRUM (desirable).
- Experience in at least one programming language e.g., Python (preferred), C#, Java.
- Experience in IT operations and ability to evaluate the impact of changes to the system and its environment
- Knowledge of popular Software Development supporting tools e.g., Confluence, JIRA, Microsoft TFS would be an advantage.
- Working knowledge in at least one data analysis and modelling tool e.g., ERWIN
You will also demonstrate
- The ability to work and collaborate in a matrix organisation.
- Effective stakeholder management skills, with the ability to communicate with a wide and varied audience.
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to manage competing priorities.
- The ability to influence and challenge users in helping to define customer requirements.
- Results focused approach, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) and German to a fluent level would be a strong advantage
- University degree in technology or relevant professional experience is preferred.
Securing Energy for Europe – it’s a simple statement, with a bold ambition. SEFE is not just our name, but also encompasses everything that drives us. To accomplish this, we’re taking immediate action to secure gas supply – but also looking forward, to explore our role in the European energy transformation and how we can contribute to a stable and sustainable future.
As a fully-integrated energy company, we serve our customers with an end-to-end energy value chain – from sourcing and trading to transport, storage, and sales. Together, we ensure the security of gas supply in Germany and Europe and drive the green energy transformation. Our international teams work across locations in Europe, Asia, and North America. We’re passionate about energy and the important role it can play in shaping a better future.
Our Manchester office is home to over 320 employees in a diverse array of roles and specialties – from sales and operations, to technology, data science and more. As a key location for our Sales operations, we deliver a reliable supply of energy and a fantastic experience to more than 50,000 non-domestic energy consumers in Europe.
We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment that embraces diversity and fosters the development of knowledge, skills, and experience. Whatever your role, you’ll find an open, welcoming atmosphere that empowers you, and recognises your contribution.
We offer a competitive starting salary supported by a comprehensive, and broad reaching benefits package which includes:
- Non-contributory pension
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and 2 volunteering days
- Buy / sell holidays
- Life assurance
- Medical and dental insurance
- Range of optional flexible benefits
Based in our offices in Manchester, you can benefit from hybrid working offering the flexibility to spend some of your working week at home. We are committed to supporting your career growth with opportunities to develop both your knowledge and experience through a blended approach to learning.
Join SEFE and help us secure gas supply across Europe and shape a better, more sustainable tomorrow.