Want to join us on our journey?
We are looking for a Gas Operator to join our 24/7 team. You will be responsible for the balancing and optimisation of the gas portfolio, to ensure the efficient nomination of all positions and flows across Europe and the UK. The role will require working outside of normal office hours including weekends and overnight. You will also work in close liaison with the trading desk (off shift) to develop greater commercial skills and to maximise potential profits from the portfolio within day.
What you will do
As a Gas Operator you will nominate the ‘within day’ and ‘day ahead’ gas positions across our UK & European trading hubs to and all relevant TSO’s , SSO’s and REGAS terminals. Check confirmations returned as well as checking positions in all markets with the trading team to help facilitate trading activities across the portfolio. You will provide support to the Gas Trading Team by developing strategies to increase profitability of the portfolio and assist to balance positions. Being responsible for optimizing the various storage products in the portfolio, reacting to the changing market prices to ensure maximum profitability will develop your commercial awareness. As well as doing the operational activities, you will be expected to provide relevant trade information to the Gas Trading Team to allow future positions to be agreed and for further provision to Front, Middle and Back Office Managers. You will also be responsible for
- Nominate and manage our gas portfolio throughout Europe, including cross border capacity, storages and LNG cargoes.
- Minimise any imbalances across the positions and look for opportunities to bring profit
- Develop commercial skills through trading spreads across Europe, and develop new markets and the implementation of these markets in the day to day operations procedures
- Work closely with our retail colleagues within the SEFE group
- Be responsible for running the automated book balancing tool overnight to ensure the correct positions are reported in the p/l each day.
- Report errors that may occur in the course of the business, and also to report any issues with the systems to the relevant teams to ensure rapid resolution
- Ensure all trading activity is correctly entered into the trading system to ensure compliance with the company policies.
What you’ll bring to the role
With strong analytical skills and a good attention to detail, your problem solving skills will be essential to help you succeed. In addition you will need
- Excellent computer skills and a good knowledge of Excel
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Knowledge of systems involved in scheduling gas (desired but not essential)
- Experience of working in the energy industry (desired but not essential) preferably in UK and European gas operations (desired)
- Knowledge of gas networks across Western Europe (desired but not essential).
Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.