Securing Energy for Europe GmbH (SEFE GmbH) is a major European energy company focused on maintaining the security of supply and generating commercial value in Europe. Its main business areas include supplying energy to customers, energy trading, gas transportation and the operation of gas storage facilities. SEFE GmbH is an internationally operating group consisting of around 50 companies in 16 countries in Europe, Asia and North America. The SEFE Group employs approximately 1,500 employees, around 200 of whom work at its Berlin headquarters.
SEFE Marketing & Trading Limited (SM&T) is an integral part of the SEFE Group. Headquartered in London, SM&T is an agile multi-commodity trader and trading partner. With deep experience in derivatives, digital and analytics and ready for the opportunities arising from the energy transition, we seek to create value, both on a proprietary basis and for its partners, in all key European gas, LNG, power and environmental products markets.
Our culture is defined by our people. Through living our values every day, we continue to create a culture that enables us all to succeed. We work as one team with our customers, our parent company and each other in order to understand each other’s needs. With an unstoppable passion for excellence, growth and learning, we’re committed to creating an environment that fosters the development of knowledge, skills and experience, so that our people can thrive and prosper in their careers with us. We believe that we have the best team in the industry which makes us a trusted partner across international capital and energy markets. Our diverse employee base, with a wealth of expertise, knowledge and experience makes SM&T a truly exciting place to work. We encourage new ideas and initiatives as innovative thinking is central to how we do business. Most importantly, we are a growing and developing business where inspired individuals can make a difference and help shape our future.
This position is for a role within the 24/7 shift Gas Operations Team of SEFE M&T. The team manages the optimisation of the gas portfolio both within day and outside of normal office hours, to ensure the efficient nomination of all positions and flows across Europe and the UK. The role will involve working outside of normal office hours and at weekends and overnight. The role will also incorporate a period of time working in close liaison with the trading desk (off shift) to develop greater commercial skills and to maximise potential profits from the portfolio within day.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Nominate the ‘within day’ and ‘day ahead’ gas positions across European trading hubs and through the UK Continental Interconnectors to all relevant TSOs
- Check positions in all markets with trading team to facilitate profitable trading in European gas markets
- Check confirmations returned from TSOs
- Provide support to Gas Trading Team through the development of a strategy to increase the profitability of the portfolio and assisting in the balancing of the positions outside of normal working hours
- Liaise with the SEFE Retail businesses in the UK and Europe with regards to customer forecasting
- Minimise any imbalances across the positions and look for opportunities to bring further profit to the Gas p/l
- Optimize the various storage products in the portfolio, reacting to the changing market prices to ensure maximum profitability at all times
- Develop commercial skills through trading spreads across Europe, as well as management of the imbalance regimes in NL and France
- Development of new markets across Europe and the implementation of these markets in the day to day operations procedures
- Check future gas positions with trading team to assist in their planning
- Be responsible for running the automated book balancing tool overnight to ensure the correct positions are reported in the p/l each day.
Communication and Reporting:
- Provide relevant trade information to Gas Trading Team to allow future positions to be agreed and for further provision to Front, Middle and Back Office Managers
- Report to the Lead Gas operator or the Operations Manager any errors that may occur in the course of the business, and also to report any issues with the systems to the relevant teams to ensure rapid resolution
- Ensure all developments and important information is handed over to other members of the shift team and to the Trading desk at the start of each day
- Ensure all trading activity is correctly entered into the trading system to ensure compliance with the company policies.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent analytical skills and a good attention to detail
- Strong desire and ability to learn new skills
- Excellent computer skills and advanced knowledge of Excel
- Knowledge of systems involved in scheduling gas (desired but not essential)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and on an individual basis with limited supervision
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Able to cope with rapid business growth in a pressured environment
- Pro-active in achieving results
- Strong organisational and planning skills
- Diligent and reliable
- Languages: fluency in English (verbal and written) is essential; other European languages would be of benefit but are not essential.
- Experience of working in the energy industry (desired but not essential)
- Experience of UK and European gas operations (desired but not essential)
- Knowledge of gas networks across Western Europe (desired but not essential).
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience).